Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Friday, January 8, 2010

Japan: Kyoto – ramen

Ramen


Kyoto was our last stop in Japan (sob, sob, sob) and when we got there we realised we had eaten almost everything we had wanted to on the trip - apart from ramen. Naturally this had to be rectified! So ramen for dinner it was, at a small place around the corner from our hotel. It sold ramen, gyoza and beverages.

Ramen


Alastair and I both ordered the chashu (pork) ramen in a pork broth and shared a serve of gyoza. The creamy coloured broth was porky, salty and rich, and the noodles had the perfect texture – soft but still slightly firm and springy. The pork meat was extremely tender, on the verge of falling apart in the broth. The gyoza, that I neglected to photograph, were also delicious. They had a super soft skin and very tasty meaty filling.

Ramen


In fact, we enjoyed the ramen so much we went back for dinner on our last night in Japan. I must have been feeling lazy by this stage of the trip, because I didn’t take a photo of Alastair’s ramen or note down what my ramen was (fail blogger). Alastair had the chashu ramen again – but this time he had double pork! I wish I had requested double pork, the meat really was fantastic. Instead, I choose a slightly different ramen from the first night, the name of which escapes me, but it was equally as delicious.

Ramen


The egg in my ramen was fantastic - the white was set, but the yolk was still gooey and runny. Neat, huh?

Ramen
Poster on the wall showing how the pork is prepared


I have eaten ramen in Melbourne before, but they couldn't compare to these bowls of deliciousness. There are several food bloggers who seem obsessed with finding a good ramen, and now I finally "get" the obsession. Ramen is fantastic! I won't say that I'm obsessed at this stage, but.... any suggestions for good ramen places in Melbourne will be gratefully received. :D


Related Posts with Thumbnails