Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cookbook Challenge: Week 9, Berry

Blueberry and coconut muffins


Recipe: Blueberry and coconut muffins
From: Australian Women's Weekly "Kitchen"


So guess what the theme is this week for the Cookbook Challenge? Berry. And guess who did berry pancakes LAST week? Yep, genius over here!

Obviously I don't plan my weekly recipes in advance. If I had been clever, I would've done the pancakes this week and found a different recipe for the sweet week. But I didn't, so I spent a bit of time this weekend looking for another berry recipe. I figured that I was going to bake something, since I didn't fancy my chances of finding a savoury recipe that also incorporated berries.

And muffins it was! These muffins were pretty easy to put together, although the batter was extremely thick. Taste wise, they're not a light, fluffy cake-like muffin - the coconut gives them a chewy, heavy texture that is vaguely similar to a scone. I'm not really selling them, I know, but let me tell you that they are strangely moreish. I ate one, and another, and another.... I hate to tell you how many I ate today (FOUR, for goodness sake).

I think that means they're good.

See previous Cookbook Challenge posts here.

Update: see what everyone else made at My Food Trail.

Blueberry and coconut muffins


Blueberry and coconut muffins

Adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly Kitchen

Makes 12


1 & 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
90g cold butter, chopped
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 & 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/3 cup (desiccated coconut)
150g fresh blueberries

Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease or line a 12 hole muffin tin.

In a food processor, pulse the chopped butter and caster sugar until it resembles large breadcrumbs.

Sift the flours into a large bowl (add in any stuff from the wholemeal flour that couldn't make it through the sieve), and add the butter mixture. Add the buttermilk, egg, desiccated coconut and blueberries. Mix until just combined.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin holes and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a skewer in the centre comes out come. Stand the muffins in the tin for five minutes, and then remove on to a wire rack to cool.


Related Posts with Thumbnails