Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Waffles with cinnamon poached pears

Waffles with cinnamon poached pear
Mhmmmm maple syrup...


We had an indulgent breakfast on Sunday. I should've let us sleep in later to make it super indulgent. Instead, I made us get up early so I could make waffles!

Unlike the last time I made waffles, I used a recipe that had baking powder instead of yeast. It was quick, easy, and actually pretty good! I don't think I'll bother with a yeast batter again, not with this particular waffle maker.

I googled for a recipe that used baking powder, and settled on this one. The only thing that I did differently was to add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to my batter.

The waffles were quite light, and also a bit sensitive to being overcooked. They were best when they were golden and not too well done. They weren't very sweet, but it was perfect with icing sugar and maple syrup.

I served the waffles with half a poached pear. I had a lonely corella pear sitting around that I knew I wasn't going to eat. Rather than waste it, I poached it in a sugar syrup with a cinnamon quill and a couple of pieces of lemon peel. Below is the recipe that I used - increase the amount of sugar and water if making more than one pear.

If a breakfast like this isn't worth getting out of bed for, I don't know what is.

Waffles with cinnamon poached pear
Thanks to Alastair for being my patient syrup pourer. :)


Cinnamon poached pear


1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
1 cinnamon quill
2 pieces of lemon peel
1 large pear, peeled and cut in half

Mix together the sugar and water in a saucepan, and place on to a low heat.

Stir until the sugar dissolves.

Add the cinnamon quill, lemon peel and pear.

Simmer until the pear is soft and tender (about 10 minutes). Turn the pear over half way through if it isn't fully submerged.


Related Posts with Thumbnails