Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hako

I'm one of those people who like lists. I like writing them, and ticking items gives me a little frisson of satisfaction. I'll even add completed items to my lists so I get the pleasure of marking them off!

So it's no surprise that I have a list of restaurants that I'd like to eat at. Due to lack of time, money, and lack of energy to organise a meal out, I tend to add more and hardly ever cross ones off! The fact that I don't have strict criteria for places to make The List doesn't help. Do other people like it? On The List. Does the food sound interesting? On The List. Do I like the name? On The List.

Okay, so that last statement isn't true, but you get the general idea.

Hako was one of the restaurants on The List, and I'm happy to say that I've managed to tick it off! Alastair and I went for dinner several weeks ago, after a few hours wandering around a home ideas show (how terribly domestic and rather tragic for a Friday night!).

It was a rather chilly evening, and I was happy to see that there were free tables. The split-level premises is quite impressive, being a rather large and roomy space. The room’s white walls are offset with a very high matte black ceiling and dark floorboards. It all seems rather simple, but very cool.

Hako
(Terrible photos courtesy of my mobile, as my Bro borrowed my little camera when he went to Vegas!)


We started off with a plate of sashimi ($17.80 entrĂ©e size, $27.80 main size). We received salmon belly, tuna and some white fish.... We weren't told what the fish was, and I neglected to ask! Nevertheless, the mystery fish, as well as the salmon and tuna was lovely and fresh. We could’ve happily eaten the main size (even with more food to come).

Hako


Our other starter was a plate of chargrilled chicken wings with plum paste ($10.88). The plate of 3 juicy wings were perfectly grilled and had a hint of sweetness along with a lot of smokiness. In fact, they had quite a distinctive taste…. Think smokey, sweet and grassy…..

Hako


For mains, Alastair had the ebi tempura ($17.80) which was soba buckwheat noodles in soup served with prawn tempura. The prawns had been stretched out before being battered and deep fried, which I thought made them resemble worms! They were served separately to the soup, which kept them crisp. However, Alastair dunked them in his soup as he ate them – heathen!

Hako


I had the unagi don – char grilled eel with rice and miso soup ($22.80). A generous portion of eel came to the table on top of rice. The eel was rich and tasty, with the fillets glazed in a sticky, sweet, dark sauce. I was rather satisfied with my meal and hunted down every last piece of rice and eel.

Service was charming. It wasn’t perfect, but the wait staff were likable and eager to please. We had such a pleasant evening that it made me wonder why it took me so long to get there. Hopefully I won't wait so long to go back!

Hako
310 Flinders Lane, Melbourne,
Phone: (03) 9620 1881


Related Posts with Thumbnails